Families everywhere are trying to do their bit for the environment but we often forget the environmental impact of our furry family members. Pets are wonderful companions but the waste that Fido and Fluffy generate affects the environment in a huge way. We want to keep our Hawaii Kai home beautiful for future generations.
Here are some tips that will reduce your pets' carbon paw print:
1. Rescue Me - There are thousands of pets in need of a good home. Adopting an animal from a shelter is the ultimate form of recycling.
2. Fix Me - We're faced with a huge pet overpopulation problem that results in daily euthanizations so ensure your pets are fixed.
3. Play With Me - Purchase earth friendly products such as toys made with chemical free plastics. If you have a cat, make them a toy by tying up an old sock full of catnip!
4. Pamper Me - In addition to using earth friendly cleaning products around your home for Fido’s sake, invest in some environmentally friendly, natural products for cleaning and grooming your pets.
5. Scoop My Poop - Scoop doo doo into biodegradable bags instead of plastic bags. Cat owners should use plant based litters as clay litter comes from strip mining which isn’t environmentally friendly.
Help take environmental action on behalf of your pet by greening up its Hawaii Kai lifestyle. Consumers spend billions of dollars each year on their four legged friends. With such a huge industry, a few eco-friendly choices here and there will end up making a big difference to our island home.
Barbara Abe, Realtor